Friday, May 16, 2008

Trainblogging

In Chicago, the subway rides above the ground, in most places, on elevated tracks, hence its nickname "the El".

My nearest connection is a few blocks walk from home and is at the end of its line, the Brown Line. This section of the El is actually at street level, meaning cars have to stop when we cross their street.

One of the nice things about being at the end of the line is that the trains are always nearly empty, with a lot of seats to choose from.

The El is one of my favorite places to update this blog. As I head to my destination, I can relax, collect my thoughts, and tap away on the tiny keypad on my phone.

When I have been able to travel, I have always enjoyed using subways and such. St. Louis has a great light rail train system in the Metrolink, but it unfortunately covers a fairly limited area. Between the El and the city's bus system (which I hope to learn this summer). I can get most anywhere in the city.

No comments: