Friday, May 16, 2008

Around My Head in 90 Minutes

An old acquaintance from my Truman theater days offered me a ticket tonight to a production of Around the World in 80 Days produced by the Lookingglass Theatre Company. David Schwimmer, who played Ross on Friends, is one of the founding members of Lookingglass, although he had nothing to do with the show tonight.

Lookingglass performs in a beautiful space in Watertower Place, right on Michigan Avenue in downtown. I feel lucky to have seen two professional shows my first week. The show was good, maybe a little inconsistent in some areas, and there was definitely a lack of hot air balloons. But there was this beautiful moment in Act 2, when the actors where singing together on a swinging sledge, with snow effects and beautiful lighting, that managed to capture all that can be great about live theater.

No comments: