Saturday, May 10, 2008

First Night: indulge/inspire

I splurged for my first night in town, and bought the last ticket available for tonight's performance of "Dead Man's Cell Phone" by Sarah Ruhl at the Steppenwolf Theater.

More than just a playhouse, the Steppenwolf also has its own company of (Pulitzer-, Tony-, and Oscar-award winning) actors, platwrights, and directors, among whom John Malkovitch, Gary Sinese, and Joan Allen are founding and current members. None of them were in tonight's show, but I WAS audience to a smart, funny, whimsical, and gingerly philosophical show, with a bit of stage magic, great performers, and a version of the afterlife where shoes are verboten.

It was good solid contemporary theater, everything I'm hoping to engage here. Good stuff.

P.S. The theater in which I saw this good show also happened to house the premiere of "Picasso at the Lapin Agile". Awesome.

1 comment:

SamCCT said...

I guess this post answered the previous comment/question. We saw top dog/under dog at Steppenwolf a few years ago.