Saturday, May 31, 2008

Second City, Second Chances?

I had my first class at Second City today, and it was really, really good. I was a little concerned that it might be pretty remedial, but for me it was just right. We played a lot of basic listening and concentration games, but also got straight into some scene work. The instructor was able to balance a combination of kindly encouragement and honest feedback, and my classmates are very friendly and open. And young. Very, very young.

There was a young man from Edwardsville who is getting ready to move up to Chicago in the next few weeks. Until then, he bought a train pass and is making the trip up every Saturday just for the class. There are a few others who are in town just for the summer, to get their training. That was so weird to me for some reason. Maybe because for me this class is just some addendum to the rest of my life.

Needless to say, my pluck from obscurity did not happen the first day. You all are still stuck with me for now.

The weather here is gorgeous--mid 70's with sunny, clear skies. I think the Cubs are in town for a series, and it could hardly be better for a weekend at Wrigley. I'm headed home to tend to Atlas for a bit, then meeting a friend in Lincoln Square for their German-themed Mayfest tonight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So what is this training for? Is there where you get a chance to become the next Mike Meyers or Chris Farley in my case?? Holy Schnikees!!