Sunday, May 11, 2008

Meet My Hidden Roommate

Day Two was comparatively low key. It was cold, rainy, and blustery, and most of my energy was spent putting things away, filling the fridge, etc.

The only real excitement came later in the evening, when a combination of flour tortilla, new-to-me toaster oven, and distractingly confusing digital cable guide resulted in plumes of smoke swirling through the air. The good news is that the smoke detector works, and, more importantly, SHE TALKS! That's right, after the standard beeps, a lovely-but-urgent lady voice began proclaiming "there is a fire!"

Things were quickly brought under control (hooray for ceiling fans and cross circulation), but it was worth it to discover my hidden friend. She may not pay rent, but she's already earned her keep. I'm taking recommendations for naming her.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So does the ceiling she rests on actually show that pink in its actual setting? Appropriate, if so.

I would vote for "Dorothy". Dorothy sounds so matter of fact. Kind of like her message. No 'beating around the bush' with her. No. She needs a no frills name. A name a woman might hold if she was, per say, a librarian or something.

Anonymous said...

Great suggestion! The other idea I had was to name her Jeanie, as in genie, like it's a woman trapped in a bottle.

The pink is not present (seriously, Jo-Jo, who has ever heard of a pink ceiling? :), but the effect was a result of lighting and the limitations of my cell phone camera. But, if you look carefully, you'll see the blinking of her green light, like an angry eye...

Thanks for posting.

rla said...

Since this delightful lady lives on the ceiling, I sweet and charming name would be Cecelia...