Saturday, August 9, 2008

Whirlwind Visit

This news is already days old. My apologies.

My dad, ever the two-wheel enthusiast, made a special one-night visit to drop off the scooter, bringing my mom with him. I think she was thankful for the chance to scope out the place where her baby landed. With my work schedule, our time together was a little limited, so I was determined to get them down to Lincoln Square for a late supper.

As we headed off from the apartment, I noticed the skies darkening, and not too shortly thereafter rain started to fall at a pretty good clip. We settled quickly in a sandwich shop, me trying to fight off my disappointment that I couldn't walk them around the area or enjoy a meal al fresco. Meanwhile, the storm was really picking up (Clue #1), which we noted with passing interest as our conversation continued.

After finishing the meal, I attempted to drive them over for a glimpse of Wrigley Field, but were thwarted first by a flooded road (Clue #2) and then by barracaded streets and crowds streaming out of the ballpark (Clue #3).

It was only after we made our way home and turned on the news that we found out the city was under a tornado alert and that a funnel cloud of some sort had touched down right on Michigan Avenue, just miles away! I swear we never once heard an alarm, and the sandwich place had Muzak playing instead of the radio, so we missed all the warnings.

Brushes with danger aside, we had a nice, if brief, visit. They are set to come back through Labor Day weekend for a more extensive stay.

Meanwhile, I am so excited to have the scooter here! Today it is 78 degrees, with alternating sun and clouds, and I am off to find a farmer's market.

No comments: