Saturday, August 9, 2008

Better Than Wonka's Golden Ticket?


As you have likely heard, the economic downturn has even Starbucks scrambling to try to turn things around.

One wicked, wicked, wicked tactic they are test-marketing here in Chicago (and, apparently, in Miami and Seattle) involves the Green Receipt.

The Green Receipt entitles you to a $2 grande sized iced beverage. This is nice for a couple of reasons. First, an iced drink on a hot day is refreshing. Secondly, for most items on the Starbucks menu, this is almost half its regular price. Thirdly, that price means its now with the realm of reasonable prices for a specialty beverage. This is a good thing, right? No, it's GREAT. Starbucks for the masses! Ticker tape parades! Sign. Me. Up.

How does one get The Green Receipt? This is where the evil bit comes in. The only way to get The Green Receipt is by buying FULL PRICE Starbucks beverage prior to 2PM. You then have to wait until after 2PM on THE SAME DAY before you can use The Green Receipt. Aaaannnddd...it expires that day. So, yes, in order to get the good deal, you have to visit Starbucks twice in the same day.

Cancel the parade. Call my lawyer.

This has led to something of a black market. As no one wants to be one of Those People who go to Starbucks twice in the same day, they'll go in the morning, get The Green Receipt, and then use it as a bit of leverage in a bartering exchange.

Which led to the following exchange, overheard at my office:

A: "I went to Starbucks on the way in."

B: "Yum. What did you get?"

A: "Mocha"

B: "Ooh. Did you get The Green Receipt?"

A: "Yeah, but I don't think I'm going there again today."

B: "Can I have it?"

A: "(laughing) What's it worth to you?"

B: "Well, I'm not going to pay you for it."

A: "Call my boyfriend for me and tell him he's being an [edited for general audience] about this trip."

B: "Ummm...okay."

See what I mean? Evil.

No comments: