Sunday, August 3, 2008




Sometimes, a bloke just needs some time with his ma, you know? Well, at least this bloke does, so I quickly committed her to spending Saturday morning with me on Main Street in Old St. Charles.
This is hands down my favorite part of my home town. I love the cobblestone streets and the independent shops and restaurants, as well as the proximity to the river and the Katy Trail. The buildings are, for the most part, original colonial-era brick houses and the whole thing feels just so much OTHER than suburbia.
My mom wanted to check out the farmer's market, which I also had never visited, so we headed there first. She picked up some great looking red and yellow tomatoes for a new salad reciped, and we sampled some homemade chutneys and mustards.
We then walked the length of Main Street, up several blocks and back down the other. Not really looking for anything in particular, but just glad to be out and about.
We ended with an early lunch at Lewis & Clark's Restaurant, an old family favorite. We indulged and ordered an appetizer combo platter to share, which brought all sorts of fried goodness, and talked reality TV and Hollywood gossip for a bit. We both agree that Shiloh Jolie
Pitt is an unusually beautiful child and that $14 million is ridiculous amount of money for anyone to pay for ANY photograph of wrinkly newborns. Superficial stuff, I know, but sometimes the brain just has to be shut off for awhile, and I think we both needed that, and enjoyed finding it together.

No comments: