Thursday, January 1, 2009

One Year Ago Today

I was 25 pounds heavier. I never ate things like protein powder or soy milk. I couldn't finish a half mile on the treadmill. Yesterday I ran a 7:30 mile.

I lived in St. Louis, with a view of Highway 40 and the Zoo. Today I live in Chicago with a view of the Chicago River. I paid literally half the amount of rent.

I met my pup for the first time, never awoke before 6:30, and had no idea little dogs could provide massive enjoyment.

I wasn't on Facebook, and lived in ignorance of how many people had kids, were still in my hometown, or had moved away to interesting places.

I was doing community theater in Clayton, not walking the halls of Second City in the footsteps of Belushi, Farley, Fey, Poehler, and so many others.

I had never voted for a Democrat in the presidential election.

I had about the same amount of money in my bank accounts, but more debt, and WAY more in my 401k.

I never rode public transportation.

I welcomed in the New Year with my closest friends in a single-family home in Maplewood. I passed last night on the 7th floor of a West Loop high-rise with virtual strangers (who were nonetheless awesomely friendly).

I was still single, and just about as okay with it.

I wore different shoes, walked on different rugs, and sat on a different couch. I ate off the same dishes, drove the same car, and listened to the same iPod.

I had never been the victim of a natural disaster, and had certainly never received assistance from FEMA.

IKEA was still exotic, not the building on the other side of the parking lot at work.

I had never fired a handgun.

I had never had a Bloody Mary. Mmmmm....Bloody Mary. Weekend cannot come soon enough.

I had dinner with my extended family once a week, but we said less than we do in our weekly phone calls now.

I attended church about as often as I do now, which is to say not as much as I should. Especially for a guy with a seminary degree.

The hair. I'm not even going to open that can of worms.

I was complacent, bored, and restless. Today I am terrified, thankful, and eager. I'm not entirely sure I am in a better place than I was a year ago. I miss my family and friends, and have NO IDEA where my career path is headed right now. But I'm glad I took some chances, I feel like I've grown up some, and have certainly enjoyed a lot about Chicago. Especially in the summer. Sidewalk cafes. The dog beach. People watching in Wicker Park. Scooter! Decided lack of weekly snowfalls, sub-zero wind chills, and nightmare street parking. Forget New Year's resolutions...I just need to make it to May.

2 comments:

Mary Anne said...

I like all this reflection.

Anonymous said...

That is the coolest post!

One year ago, you had a FABOULOUS work wife (or two?!?). We Miss You!