Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Cupboard Maintenance

A little over a year ago, I found an article in Real Simple magazine that listed 10-12 items to have on hand for each food storage area in the kitchen (fridge, freezer, pantry), and while I no longer follow it to a "T", it's still something of a reference point for me when I go shopping--and the reason why I'll always, ALWAYS have a little bacon on hand.

The Times posted a similar article today, all about what to pitch and and what to keep in your pantry. Where Bittman's real strength comes is in the little off-handed recipes he suggests for each recommended substitution. He motivated me to try cooking with white beans tonight (beans, diced onion, garlic, mushrooms, said bacon, chopped basil, olive oil, canned tomato sauce, s&p to taste), which is something I rarely ever do. He also threw out an idea for pasta with a walnut sauce that totally caught my interest. Maybe this weekend?

Give it a glance over and see if you have any inspiration.

The Minimalist - The Latest Must-Haves for the Pantry - NYTimes.com

No comments: