Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Misunderstood the Ghost

KKagogo, another friend from improv class, invited me out to a show at iO, formerly known as Improv Olympic, the other big game in town.

The cubs are playing a series in town, and the tiny iO theater is right around the corner from Wrigley. I got two shows tonight: one on stage, the other in the streets.

KKagogo describes iO as more down to earth than Second City. I think that refers to the fact that the space they perform in is smaller, and you might be prone to hearing more profanity. They are known for doing more "long form" improv, which means they will build scene for scene in long continuous loops without stopping for the entire length of the show. I felt exhausted just watching them, but enjoyed the show.

They stumbled into a scene that felt like classic Monty Python, about residents of a haunted mansion who couldn't quite make out the warning to "get out of my house".

"What? Go buy a dead mouse? Harold, why would he ask us to do such a filthy thing?" Good stuff.

As for the street scene, the game was finishing up as I left iO. I have to say I kind of like Cubs fans. Their love of the game is contagious, even for a non-fan like me. And they so clearly enjoy each other, as evident by the pockets of people hanging around outside the stadium, not too anxious to get home, laughing and recapping the night. Evidence that sport can bring out the best in people.

1 comment:

rla said...

Being a cub fan is beyond being a baseball fan, that is its own cult.

Mom and I got home about 10 am this morning, safe, sound and dry.