Sunday, December 7, 2008

Signs of Christmas in Chicago

My Christmas tree. Still digging the white. Looks awesome during the day. This is my only Christmas decoration this year, which is odd for me. After all the craziness of the fall, I wanted as little drama as possible, including that I create for myself. Note that all of my favorite ornaments survived the flood, while my tree skirt was among the losses.
Santa's house at the Christmasmarkt in Daley Plaza downtown. Note the massive tree behind, and, to the left of the left turret on the house, you can see the Picasso sculpture.

The Christmasmarkt was pretty great. It's done in collaboration with the Germany board of tourism, and most of the booths are manned by actual Germans who fly over for the holidays (waaa?). They sell traditional handicrafts and foodstuffs, including roasted chestnuts, bratwursts, and grogg (spiced wine) in commemorative mugs.

One of the main halls at the 8-floor Macy's, formerly Marshall Field's, downtown. Crowded, yes, but the epitome of the Christmas department store experience. If you dig such things, it's worth it for the trip at least once.

For many Chicagoians, it isn't Christmas until you've had lunch under the massive Christmas tree in the Walnut Room of Macy's/Marshall's on the 7th floor. There was a 3-hour wait when I went (and no, I didn't get a table, opting instead for a quick coffee from the nearby food court). I took the elevator up, then the escalators back down, which is when I ran across Jessica Simpson.

Christmas tree lot near Second City, underneath the new seasonal Coca-Cola ads. Christmas! Improv! Coke! Merry Christmas to me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How much did the trees cost? I remember them being way out of our price range when we lived there.

Andy A said...

great question. I've not checked! I was just back by that lot today and didn't even think about it. I'm supposed to be down there tomorrow night so I'll try to remember to investigate...