Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Flood Update

I had all sorts of good stuff built up waiting for posting...my parents visited over Labor Day weekend and we had a GREAT time; I found a nice Saturday green market closer to home, where I lost my camera, bought a new one, and had my old one returned to me; I got cast in a workshop production here, which will be meeting through the fall; and, I just found out, I was ACCEPTED INTO THE SECOND CITY CONSERVATORY PROGRAM!

Unfortunately, as most all of you know, bigger news has happened.

On Saturday, September 13, 2008, my neighborhood, Albany Park, was deluged with a combination of leftover Hurrican Ike storms and a slow moving cold front. This resulted in about 24 hours of solid rain, which flooded first the nearby Chicago River, then the adjacent sewers, and ultimately the streets, yards, and sublevels of the buildings on my block. This includes my garden apartment.

48 hours later, here are the facts. My apartment has been ruined. A lost some personal property, namely bigger items like sofas, tables, etc. I also lost some personal memorabilia, including a box of pictures and souveneirs representing the years 1996 back through middle school. My renter's insurance has no clause for flooding, so I have no means of recompense.

But I am safe. Atlas is safe. Many very important and valued objects were unharmed. My property manager has been extremely gracious, taking me into his home for cleanup, then temporarily housing me in a different unit while a permanent solution arises. There is a possibility I could be housed permanently again by the end of the week. In spite of the fact that I was sloshing around in sewage and river water in sandals in 50 degree weather with pre-existing cold, I have not developed pneumonia or any other acute ailments (although I did swing by an urgent care center today, just to rule out Hep A exposure, thankyouverymuch Lisie).

I have been overwhelmed by support from back home and among short-time friends here. I already have offers from co-workers for extra furniture. Caring messages and prayers have been abundant, and in my shock and uncertainity I have certainly felt a blanket of grace and protection.

I have been trying this afternoon to post pictures, but I have to use my cell phone as a modem, and I am afraid the connection is too slow for photo uploads. Hang tight, as I hope to have this remedied in the next couple of days.

Meanwhile, thanks again for your support. Let me know if there are any questions I can answer for you.

Much love,

Andy (and Atlas)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andy,
Thank you for the update. I have been on pins and needles, worrying about you and Atlas!
I will share the details with 'chele and Im sure she will promptly contact you (if she hasn't already).
When you are settled, please let us know what items you need to replace, as I am sure there will be opportunity for your friends/loved ones to pick up a few things for you!
Love, Steph

Unknown said...

argh, andy,

that is no bueno! the parrs gave me the skinny on your chicago adventures. wouldn't have wished that on an enemy. i hope and pray things get worked out for you sooner rather than later. let me know if there's anything i can do.

rla said...

The rains may fall and waters rise, other perils may come at us as well. But, His grace and blessings will never cease.