Sunday, June 29, 2008

Pannakoeken Cafe

The nice thing about having foodie friends come in town is their enthusiasm for trying new places. The Lord and Lady made their way north with me after a church service downtown, and I convinced them to try a Dutch pancake house in Lincoln Square, the Pannakoeken Cafe.

Dutch pancakes are just a tad thinner than a crepe. The Pannakoeken Cafe tops them with a variety of both sweet and savory ingredients. For example, Lady got hers with salami, mushrooms, and Havarti cheese, and Lord Maplewood got his with bananas, strawberries, chocolate sauce, and whipped cream. I was craving a split between the two, so I ordered mine with ham, pineapple, and Havarti.

The food was fantastic. The pancakes were rich and buttery with crisp edges and the toppings were incredibly fresh. It was worth it alone for the creamy goodness of that cheese. We were all very satisfied, although Lady took me to task for backing out of my promise to cook for them while they were in town.

I turned it around on them and made them promise to come visit again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I need a smoke & a pancake! (We laughed way too hard at that silly joke.) Those look really nice; maybe we'll just stop by Holland tomorrow & have a few! Ouch. We are simply astounded at the sheer amount of information you are able to churn out . . . kudos. Keep a' churning.

Colby & Elisabeth