Friday, June 6, 2008

Another old Truman theater connection came through this week. Jen is officially an academic, finishing her Ph.D. in Ohio this past year and getting ready to move her family out to Oregon in September.

Over the past year, she's written a play based on the writings of Anne Morrow Lindbergh, wife to the famous aviator Charles Lindbergh. Through some connections, she has arranged to have it premiere here this week, so she came in to town with her husband and have been working on bringing it to life over the past few days.

On a whim, I offered to help her pull together some publicity for the show, so my spare time this week was largely spent writing and sending press releases, calling media outlets and trying to harangue editors into checking out the show, and organizing an opening night afterparty to try to bring some attention. It has been a lot of fun, working my one or two connections and learning more about the way the theater scene works here.

The opening was last night, and the show was good. The afterparty was more subdued than I hoped, but I met some interesting people and had fun catching up with others. Sorry, no pictures of the set this time. I was so caught up in my role of PR guru that I forgot.

Tonight, I am off to catch some live music at the Metro, which I am told is one of the best venues in the city. It's two blocks up from Wrigley, which should be cool to see at night.

Looking forward to a quick trip home for the weekend, even if it is painfully short (Saturday night through Monday).

On a related note: can you believe gas prices? Crazy!

1 comment:

Christine Gordon said...

No. Crazy. $3.99 yesterday in Atlanta. What are they in Chicago?